Beginning your Letter
You need to start your letter with something that is appropriate for the situation and that will capture the reader’s attention. If it is an IELTS formal letter, you should mention the purpose in the opening paragraph. If it is an informal letter, you should start with a more general opening paragraph.
Look at these different ways of beginning a letter.
- I am writing with regard to/in connection with …
- I am writing in the hope that …
- I would like to express my concern about …
- I am a resident of … and I would like to draw your attention to …
- It was lovely to see you and your family last month …
- Apologies for not writing for so long, but I’ve been really busy …
- It was great to get your postcard … and I’m thrilled to hear you are …
- It’s been a long time since we saw each other
You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.
You recently bought a camera while travelling overseas. When you got to your destination you discovered that some important items were missing from the box.
Write a letter to the local representative of the company. In your letter
- give details of the camera and where you bought it
- explain what has happened
- say what you want him/her to do about it
Write at least 150 words.
Dear Sir or Madam,
I am writing in the hope that you can help me with a problem regarding a camera that I recently bought.
On 27 June, I purchased a Canon DSLR camera from the ‘Heinemann Duty Free’ store at Frankfurt Airport on my way from Moscow to Toronto. The camera cost $799 and I paid for it on my Visa credit card.
When I arrived at my hotel in Toronto almost 24 hours later I discovered, to my horror, that the box which contained the camera did not include the battery charger. The space in the box for the charger was empty.
I am now in Toronto and I am not returning to Frankfurt, so I need to get the missing parts here. As you are the representative of the company in this country I would be grateful if you could arrange for the parts to be sent to me. I attach a copy of the receipt with this letter for your information.
I look forward to hearing from you.