IELTS Writing Guidelines
- This is a formal piece of writing.
- Avoid using contractions (e.g. write it has decreased not it’s decreased).
- Avoid using very informal vocabulary (e.g. write it has become more popular not it has got more popular)
- Avoid using very informal punctuation, such as exclamation marks.
- Try to use linking devices, such as In contrast, However, Moreover, Similarly, to connect points.
You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.
The graph below shows relative price changes for fresh fruits and vegetables, sugars and sweets, and carbonated drinks between 1978 and 2009.
Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.
Write at least 150 words.
The graph shows changes in the price of fresh fruits and vegetables, sugar and sweets, and carbonated drinks over a thirty-year period in the US between 1979 and 2009. The graph also shows the general trend in the consumer price index during this time.
While the consumer price index showed a slow and steady increase from 1979 to 2009, the same cannot be said for the price of carbonated, or soft drinks. After rising briefly between 1979 and 1981, they remained fairly constant until 1999, when the price did begin to increase slowly.
In contrast, there was a marked difference in the price of fresh fruits and vegetables, which, despite periodic fluctuations, rose steadily throughout this period. In fact, fresh food prices only levelled out temporarily between 1990 and 1992 and again from 2000 to 2001. However, by 2008 the price had increased by more than 300%.