- Where are you from
- How far is your hometown from this place? Is your home town an interesting place?
- Where do you live? Is that an interesting place to live?
- Where do you live – A house or an apartment? Do you have any special room in there?
- What is your favorite room of the house?
- Are you planning to move to a new house in the future?
- Why we wear watch? How much is it important in your work culture to wear a watch?
- What makes you feel bored? What do you do when you feel bored?
- What kinds of facilities are available near your house?
- Why is it important to do physical activity like sports, exercise, running etc.?
- Do you think you will adopt some physical activity in future?
- Do you think youngsters are not well aware about the importance of physical activity?
- What do you do to concentrate on sleep before going to bed?
- Do you think taking a nap in the afternoon is beneficial? Do you take it?
- Do you work or study ?
- How was your first day in office?
- Why did you choose to work there?
- Do you like your job?
- What are your work responsibilities?
- Have you made friends with your colleagues?
- Did you eat any foreign food as a child?
- Have you eaten foreign foods apart from your local dishes?
- How popular are foreign foods in your country?
- Do you use maps? Do you prefer paper maps or e-maps? And Why ?
- Do you often remember directions?
- What kind of music you like?
- What would you prefer – writing with hand or type writing? And why?
- Do you like writing? What do you usually write?
- Did you like writing when you were a child?
- Do you remember your favorite teacher from primary school?
- Do you grow plants? Have you ever grown plants?
- What is the best holiday you remember?
- Do you like to go on holidays? Do you plan your holidays?
- Is it essential to plan before going on holidays?
- What do you plan before leaving for vacations?
- What are you studying?
- Why did you choose this particular course?
- What job would you like when you have completed all your studies?
- What are the differences between a private university and a public university? Which one do you prefer?
- Which languages do you speak?
- Do you think it’s important for children to learn a foreign language?
- When did you start learning a foreign language?
- Do you enjoy learning languages?
- What activity do you find most useful for learning English?
- What do you find most difficult about learning English?
- Are there any other languages you would like to learn in the future?
Historic Place/History/Your favorite historical period
- Talk about an event you remember from history.
- How do people in your country feel about protecting historic buildings?
- Do you think an area can benefit from having an interesting historic place locally? In what way?
- What do you think will happen to historic places or buildings in the future? Why?
- How were you taught history when you were at school?
- Are there other ways people can learn about history, apart from at school? How?
- Do you think history will still be a school subject in the future? Why?
- Tell me about the types of food that people eat in your country.
- How are the eating habits now in your country different from eating habits in the past?
- How healthy is your country’s food?
- Why do you think different cultures have different table manners?
- How may eating habits change in coming decades?
- What one aspect of a foreign tradition you like about their eating habits? Why?
- Do you think job satisfaction is more important than salary when choosing a job?
- What skills do you think are needed to get a good job these days?
- Do you think women should be able to do all the same jobs that men do?
- How has technology changed the way we work?
- What is the difference between white collar and blue collar jobs?
- What jobs do you think are most valuable to society?
- A job you would like to do in future?
- What is your ideal holiday like?
- Talk about an outing that didn’t cost you too much
- Why do you think people go on holiday?
- How important is it for families to go on holiday together?
- Why do some people go on holiday alone?
- What kind of holidays will be popular in the future?
- Is it better to take a holiday in your own country or in a foreign country? Why?
- What problems can people have on holiday in a foreign country?
Describe a decision that you made with the help of someone else.
- What is the decision?
- Why did you take it?
- Whom help did you take?
- Why was the decision so important for you?
- Why do some people find it hard to make decisions?
- How important is it to get advice from other people when making decisions?
- Why is it sometimes difficult to accept advice?
- What are some of the most important decisions young people have to make?
- Do you agree that parents should make important decisions for their children?
- Is it better to make a decision thinking about what you want or thinking about what other people want?
- Describe a time when you took a decision and then changed your mind. Why it happened? Do you regret it?
- Which types of people become role models in your society?
- Do you agree that famous people have more responsibilities than ordinary people?
- What happens when young people lack good role models?
- What standards of behavior should teachers set?
- Do you agree that you should never meet your heroes?
- What benefits a famous person gets that ordinary people cannot?
- Talk about an influential personality
Describe a famous person you would like to meet
- Who is he/she?
- Why do you want to meet him/her?
- Why he is famous
- What would you do if you meet him/her?
- Do you think that famous people are generally happier than ordinary people?
- What qualities does a person need to have in order to be famous?
- Is it easier or more difficult to achieve fame today than in your grandparents’ time?
- Describe the ways that famous people use to influence public.
- Do you think more is expected from famous people than ordinary citizens?
- What type of people become famous in your country? Do you want to be famous?
- Talk about a popular person you know
Leadership and politics
- Do you think people are born to be leaders?
- Can leadership skills be taught?
- Why are elected politicians often so unpopular?
- What should a leader do to remain popular?
- Do you think unelected heads of state are a good idea?
- In your opinion what qualities a political leader should have?
Influences on the young
- What type of people influence the young in your country?
- Why is it important to have role models?
- Do you think the education system in your country influences young people’s behaviour?
- What types of people (parents, teachers, friends etc) are best to influence young people’s behaviour?
- What do you think young people will be most influenced by it the future?
- Who do you believe have more influence on young children – parents or teachers? Why?
Influence of television
- How popular is watching television in your country?
- Tell me about the types of programmes that are generally on television in your country.
- Why do people like watching television?
- Which one do you think is better – state or private television? Why?
- What effects can watching television have on children?
- How the TV programmes differ now than that of 10 years ago?
- Your favorite TV program
- Do you think the cinema has increased or decreased in popularity in recent years?
- In your opinion, will this trend continue into the future?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of making films of real-life events?
- How important do you think it is for a filmmaker to remain true to the original story?
- Should films and television be censored or should we be free to choose what we see?
- How do you think censorship laws will change in the next 20 years?
A comic actor in your country
- Which actor? Why?
- What types of programmes do you find funny on TV?
- What types of programmes are most popular in your country? Why do you think this is the case?
- What kind of things make you laugh? Why?
- Do you like to make people laugh? How?
- Do you think it is important to have a sense of humour?
Media & News
- How do most people get their news in your country?
- How do you think people will get their news in the future?
- Do you believe everything you read in the newspapers?
- How has TV changed people’s life?
- What do you think of children watching TV?
- How has social media changed the way we get and share the news?
The internet and social media
- What types of websites are popular among your generation?
- Is using the internet a social or solitary activity?
- How has the internet changed social behaviour?
- Do most people have a computer at home in your country? What do most people use it for?
- Do you think all information on the internet is true?
- How can people find reliable information on the internet?
- How has the internet changed the way we live?
- How has the internet changed the way we work?
- How has the internet changed the way we communicate with others?
- Do you think the internet is safe for children to use unsupervised?
- Should companies check job applicants’ online profiles?
- What will be the next big development online?
A website you regularly use
- What the website is
- How you found the address of this website
- What the website contains
- How long have you been using it
- Explain why it is useful to you.
- How often you use it
- How much time you spend on it
- How long have you been using the Internet?
- How the Internet has changed our lifestyle?
- What would be the possible uses of Internet in the future?
- Advantages of internet
- Do people in your country use the internet a lot?
- What type of internet services do you use at your office?
- Do you do any shopping on the internet? How frequently?
- Future of online shopping
- Have you ever had any difficulties while shopping online?
- Which is better- traditional shopping or online shopping?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of online shopping?
- Describe the advantages and disadvantages of modern technology.
- In what ways has technology changed your society?
- How has technology changed the way we communicate?
- How has technology changed the nature of long-distance relationships?
- What are the limitations of technology when it comes to interpersonal relationships?
- How could technology be considered a hindrance for us? Can we overcome it?
- What makes a good student?
- What role should the teacher have in the classroom?
- Do you think computers will one day replace teachers in the classroom?
- How has teaching changed in your country in the last few decades?
- What is the difference between the way children learn and the way adults learn?
- How can a teacher make lessons for children more interesting?
- Is higher education too expensive in your country?
- Should all students pay for their university education? Why?
- What advantages do universities bring to the society? Is it same in your country?
- Which is more important, research or teaching? Why?
- How should students spend their summer vacations? How do/did you spend it?
- What are the advantages of private universities than public universities?
- Do you agree that we learn best from our mistakes?
- What’s the best way to gain experience in life?
- Can we gain life experience from books and movies?
- Which is more important, experience or potential?
- What experience do you wish you had gained?
- Why do some people fail to learn from their experience?
Retirement and old age
- At what age should people retire from work?
- What problems can people face after their retirement?
- How important are retirees to your country’s economy?
- When should you start saving for retirement?
- Why do some companies encourage early retirement?
- Do you think the state should take responsibility of retirees who worked in private companies rather than government organisation?
- Describe a gift that you have recently received?
- What was the occasion?
- Why did you like it?
- How important is giving gifts in your culture?
- How often do you present gifts to people?
- How would you go about choosing a gift?
- What kind of gifts do you generally like to buy for others?
- What is the purpose of gift giving?
- How has gift giving changed since your grandparents’ time?
- How important is gift giving in a relationship?
- What is more important when it comes to giving a gift, cost or effort?
- Do you think that people have become more materialistic when it comes to giving gifts, as compared to your grandparents’ time?
- How has modern technology changed the nature of gift giving?
- Why is it important to protect the natural environment?
- Why should people be concerned about the environment?
- What environmental problems are common in your country?
- What can the government in your country do to deal with those problems?
- What technological innovations should the world develop to protect the environment?
- Do you think the youth these days care about the environment? Why?
- Environmental problems are too big to be dealt at the individual level? Do you agree? Why/ Why not?
- How can people protect the environment?
- Do you think money should be spent on protecting animals?
- Do you think more should be done to protect natural beauty spots in your country?
- What can a government do to encourage people not to harm the environment?
Clothes you like to wear on special occasions
- What is it?
- On what occasion do you wear this?
- Do other people wear the same dress on special occasions?
- Explain why you like to wear this dress.
- Do you enjoy buying clothes?
- What kinds of clothes you like to wear?
- What factors do you think affect the clothes we choose to wear?
- Is it possible to look good without spending too much on clothes?
- Can clothing tell you much about a person?
- Why do some companies ask their staff to wear uniforms?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of having uniforms at work?
- When do people wear traditional clothing in your country?
- How have clothes fashions change in your country over the last few decades?
- What is the difference between clothes that young people and old people like to wear?
- What types of sports are popular in your country? Why?
- What are the benefits of playing a sport?
- Do you often play a sport? Why/ why not?
- Do you think the types of sport that are popular will change in the future?
- How can sports bring people from different countries closer together?
- Why are some international sports more popular than others?
- Is it important to have pleasant childhood memories?
- Do you think that people are permanently affected by negative childhood memories?
- What do you think it means to ‘live in the past’?
- Nowadays many parents try to make their children happy by buying them many toys. How do you feel about this?
- Is it important for a child to have a lot of toys in order to be happy?
- What is more important for a child’s happiness, many toys or many friends?
- A nice photo of you that you remember
- Who clicked it?
- Where was it clicked?
- Why is it important to you?
- Do you prefer to be clicked by others or take selfies?
- Do you think that digital photography will replace traditional hard copy photographs?
- Do you think professional skills are necessary for good photography? What are those skills?
- Is it necessary to take a course to become a good photographer
- Is it easy to take good photographs?
- What are the pros and cons of digital photography?
- Should people share their photographs online?
- When can an image be worth a thousand words?
- Is a photograph a reliable form of identification?
- How has modern technology changed the way we take photographs?
- How has sharing photographs changed since your grandparents’ time?
- How well do photographs capture special moments?
- Do you think that people nowadays spend too much time taking photographs?
- Why do you think people photograph themselves?
Inventions and copyright
- Which invention has transformed your country most?
- Would you like to be an inventor? Why/ why not?
- How long should someone be able to profit from an idea?
- Do you think intellectual property laws are too strict?
- What is your opinion about the copyright of intellectual property and idea?
- Can you cite one example when you noticed a copyright violation? What was it?
- What type of leisure activities are popular in your country.
- Why it is important for people to have leisure activities?
- Why are some leisure activities more popular than others?
- What are the greatest environmental problems facing your country at present?
- What has been done so far to solve these problems?
- How successful would you say these measures have been?
- Do you think things are likely to get better or worse in the future?
- How do you think you can contribute to solve these problems?
- Should countries try to solve the climate change problems together or individually? Why?
- How important are ceremonies in our lives?
- Do you see the role of public and private ceremonies changing in the future?
- Have attitudes to marriage changed in recent years?
- According to you, in what ways do men and women feel differently about marriage?
- What sort of national events make headlines in your country?
- Do the media in your country pay more attention to global or national events?
Someone you know who talks a lot
- Who’s that person?
- How did you meet him?
- What does he generally talk about?
- Do you enjoy having a conversation with that person?
- Do you like to talk more or listen more?
- Why do you think communication is important?
- What is important when communicating in front of an audience?
- What do you prefer – formal or informal communication?
- What do you prefer – face to face communication, telephonic communication or online chatting?
- Differences between spoken and written communication
- Advantages and disadvantages of modern communication channel for teenagers.
- To what extent do you think the media influences how people communicate with each other?
- Do you think there are differences in the way men and women communicate?
- Do you think that people become better communicators as they get older?
- Do you agree that education has a strong and positive effect on people’s ability to communicate effectively?
- What impact has the growth of technology had on the way people communicate and how do you think this will develop in the future?
A trip you did using public transportation (Travel and transport)
- Where you went?
- What was the mode of transportation?
- Why you chose that mode ?
- Advantages and disadvantages of public transport?
- Why people use their own vehicle?
- Will having one’s own vehicle influence one’s status?
- How easy is it to travel around your country/ What is the state of transport in your city ?
- Which method of travel do you consider safest? Why?
- Has travel become safer in recent years than that was in the past?
- What are the pros and cons of low-cost air travel?
- How do you think people will travel in the future?
- Should the government in a country focus more on rail transports or road transports? Why?
- How do most people travel long distances in your country?
- Have the types of transport people use changed much over the last few decades?
- What kind of improvements have there been in transport in your country in recent years?
- Do you think transport is likely to continue to improve in the future?
- Do you think most people should use public transports? Why/ why not?
- Why some countries impose higher taxes on car ownership? How is the scenario in your country?
- What kind of advertisements run on your local TV channels?
- Do you get influenced by adverts and buy products?
- Do you remember any advertisement from your childhood?
- Should celebrities endorse products? Will it have positive or negative impact?
- What makes an advertisement effective?
- What is the purpose of advertising?
- How have advertisements changed since you were a child?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of advertising?
- Do you think that advertisements should be strictly regulated?
- How important is it for advertisers to tell the whole truth in advertisements?
A song that means a lot to you (Music)
- Which song
- Sung by
- Do you listen that song on some special occasion?
- Why do you like it?
- A place where people like to listen to music
- Where it is located
- How you heard about the place
- What kind of music you can hear
- What kind of people usually go there.
- Do children learn music in your country?
- What are the benefits to learn musical instruments?
- Do old people like new generation songs?
- What kind of songs young people in your country listen to?
- Who is your favorite singer/musician why?
- Who is the most popular musician in your country?
- Have you ever tried to learn any musical instrument? Would like to learn one in future?
- Can anyone learn music or one requires to have some special qualities/abilities?
- What kind of abilities are required to learn music/singing?
- Do you listen to music often?
- Do you listen to music when you are studying or driving?
- What kind of music do you prefer? Why?
- Do you download music from website or buying a CD? Why?
- Do you think your taste in music will change in future? Why?
- What kind of music do people in your country prefer?
- Do people in the present listen to the same music that people used to listen in the past?
- Do you generally read a lot of books or do you prefer watching TV? Why?
- What kinds of books are considered good reads in your opinion?
- Do you think that people read nowadays as they did in the past?
- Do you regard famous writers as good role models?
- If a movie is based on a book, would you prefer to read the book or to watch the film? Why?
- How our reading habit changes as we grow up? Why does it happen?
- Describe the general purpose of art. Why do people enjoy art?
- Do you think that art is as important as academic subjects when it comes to educating children?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of art education?
- Why do you think some people enjoy looking at paintings and sculptures and others do not?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of being an artist?
- Do you think that some people are naturally better artists than others?
A sport you have seen on TV and would like to try
- Name of the sport
- Where you saw it?
- Why would you like to try it?
- Which sport is popular in your country?
- Which sport do young people in your country enjoy?
- Which sport do old people in your country enjoy?
- Do you think amateurs should participate in local sports activities?
- What are the benefits of playing sports?
- Do you play any sport?
- Do you support any particular team?
- What impact does money have in sport?
- What do you think is the relation between business and sport?
- Sport celebrities endorse products?
- Why are some sports fans so passionate?
- Is there any violence at sporting events in your country?
- Should athletes be better role models?
- What benefits do international sporting events bring?
- Is it important for a country to win lots of medals?
- The money professional sportsmen earn is significantly higher than that the earning of other professionals. Is it justified?
- Can Robots replace humans?
- Have you ever seen any robots, Where?
- Give an example of a common robot in use
Describe a time when you got into trouble, either at school or at home
- What it was
- How you got into it
- How you handled it
- Were you punished for it
- Explain how you felt about it.
- Do you drink tab water or bottled water?
- Is it affordable? Why?
- Do you think people should drink the good bottle of water? Why?
- Have you been thirsty and there was nothing available to drink?
- Do you often use a dictionary?
- Do you prefer to use an electronic dictionary or a dictionary made out of paper?
- If someone gave you a dictionary as a gift, how would you feel?
- Do you think it would be interesting to write a dictionary?
A childhood friend
- When did you first meet?
- What that person is special to you?
- Has the nature of friendship changed because of modern communication channels?
- Why do people generally don’t have friends from their childhood?
- Something you would like to for your friend
- Something you friend has done for you
- Something you would like to do that your friend has done
A city or country where you would like to live or work in the future
- Which city
- Where is it located
- Why do you like it
- What the place look like
- How you know about this place
- What work you will do if you live there
Describe a place/country in other countries where you would like to work for a short time
- Where would you like to work?
- What kind of job would it be?
- When would you like to go?
- Why do you want to work there?
- Is family important in your country?
- How has the size of the family changed in the last few decades in your country?
- How do you think the family will change in the future?
- What role do grandparents play in the family in your country?
- Who do you think should be responsible for the care of the elderly, the family or the government?
- Why is the number of joint families decreasing in modern time?
A way you use to concentrate in your work or studies
- What technique you use to concentrate on studies or work?
- When do you use it?
- Does it help you?
- Do you always use this technique?
- Do you think technology has affected the concentration of children?
- Why is it necessary for sportsmen to concentrate?
- Is it important for people to concentrate on their work nowadays?
- Some people think that machines do better job than humans and machines should replace humans. What do you think?
- How long do you think is good to sleep for you? And why?
- Do you think older should get more or less sleep than the younger ones?
- A method you used to save money
- How can children learn from their parents about money saving?
- Do you think saving money is important?
An event that you have attended recently
- What was it?
- With whom you attended that?
- Was it enjoyable for you? And how?
An event in your life that you recently celebrated
- What was the occasion?
- When and where it took place?
- Any particular theme?
- Who were the people invited?
- Do you think a lot of people should be invited to a function?
- Describe an occasion when visitors came to your home
- Describe a recent event that made you happy. Why? Any special memories?
- What is the difference in terms of culture between your country and other countries?
- What is the benefit of events like international summits or beauty pageant to the host country?
A subject you studied/liked at school
- What was the subject?
- How long did you study it for?
- How was it taught?
- Why did you like it?
- Was that subject a popular choice in your school?
- What other subjects did kids in your school preferred to study?
- What do you think should be added to school curriculum which might be helpful in real life?
- Which subject you think might be added to future school curriculum?
- How has technology changed the way students are taught in school?
- How important is sports and related infrastructure while choosing a school?
- When should kids get to decide which subject to choose in school?
A technology you like using (except computers)
- Which technology product you use a lot? And why?
- In what ways people can learn to use technology?
- Companies are using more and more technologies. How is it impacting people?
Describe a story you remember from your childhood
- Do you think technological changes have affected story telling
- Do you think anyone can be a good storyteller ?
- Your first mobile phone
- Who bought the phone for you
- Why did you buy it
- What did you do with it
Talk about a skill that takes long time to learn.
- What is the skill?
- Have you tried learning the skill?
- Why do you think it takes more time?
- The challenges you faced while learning the skill.
- Describe something interesting that your friend has done
- What is it?
- Who did it?
- Why did you find it interesting?
- How would have you reacted if you were in the same situation.
Your Dream House
- What it would look like?
- Where it would be located?
- What facilities this would have?
- Why you want to live there.
Some More Topics
- A time you taught someone something
- An activity you do with older people
- An interesting animal in your country
- A good service you received from a company
- A magazine you like
- A building you like
- Someone you met recently and would like to meet again
- An animal you like
- A street market
- A place you prefer to go out with friends
- A public place which you visited that needs improvements
- Luxuries and happiness
- A toy you liked when you were a child
- An unusual meal you had
- Learning maths in primary school
- An item you own that needs to be replaced
- A plan you made but changed later
- A favorite place in your town or city
- A competition you would like to participate in
- A season you enjoy
- A quiet place you know
- Something you lost
- A time you worked in a team
- A situation when you had to be polite
- A skill you learned outside your school or college
- A river or lake in your country