- Make sure you understand the question
Take time to read the question very carefully. Underline the parts you have to write about and ask yourself:
- What is the main topic?
- How many parts are there?
- Do I need to present arguments for and against?
- What is my opinion?
- Introduce your essayThe introduction sets the scene for your reader. It tells them what you are going to discuss, what the issues are, and often what your position is.
- Make your opinion on the topic clear to the readerDecide on your view and state this, either in the introduction or during the course of your essay. Keep your position clear and don’t change it.
- Draw a logical conclusionAt the end of your essay, you need to write one or two sentences that summarise your arguments and your point of view.
You should spend about 40 minutes on this task.
Write about the following topic:
Many students choose to take a gap year before starting university, to travel or gain work experience.
Do you think this is a good idea or a waste of time?
Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.
Write at least 250 words.
The majority of students start their degree in the same year as finishing school or college. Some students, however, choose to take a year out before starting university. In my opinion, this is a very good idea if the time is used wisely in order to gain new skills or knowledge. In the following essay, I will discuss this idea further.
It is very important that, when a gap year is taken, the time is not wasted but used productively. It would not look very impressive to a future employer if the time was simply used to take a break. This does not mean to say that a gap year should not be enjoyed.
Many people choose to go travelling during their gap year. This can be very beneficial to the individual as it exposes them to new ideas and cultures. It can also mean that they are able to learn a new language. Other students decide to gain work experience during this year. This can be particularly useful, especially if connected to their chosen area of study. Often, students who have worked before attending university appreciate their course more, as they are able to understand the relevance of what is being taught.
Overall, therefore, as discussed in this essay, there can be several benefits to taking a gap year. It is very important, however, that this time is used wisely and not wasted. This means that the year needs to be planned carefully in advance to get the most from the experience.