IELTS Exam Writing Strategy
- The first Writing task might ask you to describe an object, and/or describe a process.
- Read the instructions very carefully so you know exactly what you have to do.
- Look at the picture/diagram very carefully so you understand what the object or process is.
- Always make a paragraph plan, including the examples and relevant supporting data you intend to use.
- Make sure you include all the main information from the picture/diagram in your description.
You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.
The diagram below shows a possible future means of home energy production.
Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.
Write at least 150 words.
The diagram shows a process for producing electricity for home use. The equipment consists of a large tank, boxes and pipes that would be able to fit into a garage-sized room.
Electricity is produced using methane gas, generated from a mix of compost and water in a large steel tank. The tank is about the same height as a person and about twice as wide. Methane rises to the top of the tank and is collected and stored in a gas storage system. The stored gas is the fuel source used in the energy conversions that happen next.
Once compressed in a gas compressor, the methane fuels a combustion engine, which in turn produces mechanical energy. Having been transferred to a generator, the mechanical energy is then transformed into electrical energy, which is then stored in a battery. At this stage the electricity is ready for home use.